Saturday, September 3, 2011

Berlin!

(20.8.11)
     Today I went to Berlin!  It was perhaps an unconventional first tour of the grand city but it was amazing none the less.  After an interesting church service for new students to the Domgymnasium Laura, a Finnish exchange student, and Rachel, her host sister, asked if I would like to join them on an excursion to Berlin.  I weighted the options, see Berlin now or later with my Host family, I decided to jump at the opportunity and said YES!  The train ride was uneventful aside from the consumption of some sustenance.  And then we arrived.  We stopped by the Reichstag and tried to get in but, to stop terrorists, you have to give your name two days in advance.
Reichstag - Me, Laura, Rachel
    Then we wandered on to the Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg Gate).  On the way there was a woman making giant bubbles.  Laura and Rachel got so excited that they asked if they could try, good fun was had by all concerned.  The Gate was very awe inspiring, kind of like Machu Picchu and the Pyramids - it didn't really sink in that I was there.  I had my picture take with to men posing as soldiers from the US and USSR.  There was also a Storm Trooper lurking in the background.

    Next we ventured to the Memorial for Murdered Jews in Europe.  Where the three of us definitely had to much fun considering where we were.  Then we went to the museum, which was depressing.




   After that we took the subway back to the train station and met up with Florian, another classmate.  I enjoyed my first Currywurst!  It was delicious though not what I would have thought as traditional German.
YUMMY in my TUMMY!

   First thing we did with Florian was visit the Chancellors House.  Apparently it was 'Open Doors Day' or something similar where the public could walk around.  Unfortunately we had to check our bags and I forgot to grab my camera, so no pictures.  Then we began the 'shopping' adventure.  We walked to Potsdamer Platz and bought an eis (ice cream).  We also stopped in at a mall type building and I resisted the urge to buy clothes and shoes.  It was very challenging resisting this temptation.  And then we continued our trek to KaDeWe.  Both Laura and I had tired, sore feet and hoped the trip would be ending soon.  It took a couple tries to get off at the right Subway station but we finally made it... Just in time for closing.  And then we took the train home.  Laura and I were exhausted and nearly feel asleep on each other's shoulders.
Yay for tired exchange students.
   Did I forget to mention we went to Berlin at 1:30 and got home at 10:45?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I finally caught up on your blog. It sounds like you're having an amazing time, by the way. But all I could focus on in this one was picture #4! I was like...THE LEG!!! It makes a star appearance once again! I haven't seen it since Romea and Julius. ha ha. :) You know me with my fascination of individual body parts...like elbows...and noses. ha ha. Sorry, I just had to post this. I couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete