Tuesday, August 16, 2011

School

(16.8.11)
      I can report my second week in Germany was not nearly as exciting or busy as my first week, hence the lack of blog posts. On the 13th there was a gathering of Rotary Exchange students at one of the parents houses. It was purely for fun and was not affiliated with the club. I love my fellows, Noora from Laitila, Finland and Tae-yeon from Busan, South Korea. They are younger than me, I am two years older than the pupils whose grade I have joined. Talk about making me feel old, though Noora is 17 so I'm not that old.
      On the 14th my family and I went to Potsdam to visit one site in particular:
Belvedere auf dem Pfingstberg

It had an amazing view, you could even see Berlin in the distance. It was beautiful though I was having several Marilyn Monroe incidents because of the skirt I chose to wear (next time I will plan better). After enjoying the view we visited the Kolonie Alexandrowka. I ate a most delicious Russian ice-cream sandwich. Then we were caught in a torrential downpour and my white skirt was again a poor choice though this time for a different reason.
On the way up to see the view.

      On the 15th of August, 2011 I started German Grammar School! Yikes!
1st Day of School!

The first day was like no other first day of school I have ever expereinced. First we had a prayer in the Dom, which is a very nice cathedral (and rather famous in Brandenburg a.d. Havel, and which my school is named after). Then we listened to a speech about, well, my German isn't that good so I have no idea what it was about. After which there was a small break and then our first classes. I had math for 1 hour and 35 minutes. I had no idea what was going on until the teacher started writing formulas on the board. I think we are just dealing with the different functions (linear, exponential, etc.) at the moment. Eventually, it appeared in the book, that we will get to differentiation and integration (at which point Dad I would like a refresher as to which is which). Then I had around three hours free and then 1 hour and 35 minutes of Englisch. It was very different sitting there being able to understand everything. We simply were discussing what books we might be reading, including a Shakespeare play. After that I was done – I survived and mostly understood what had taken place in my classes.
My Timetable (updated)

      Today (the 16th) I had German, which was interesting, I think we were also discussing what books we would be reading. Then History, the class was packed with 27 of us, there are only 13 in my math class. We were just getting to know the textbooks today which was challenging because we foreign exchange students (hence forth FES) had to work with a fellow, German speaking classmate. It isn't easy trying to write about something in a foreign language when your partner is having some difficulty explaining what you are writing about. Then I had a three hour break and decided to go home to eat lunch. Then I had Physiks. I have no idea what happened in class or what we learned today. It was probably the most nonsensical hour and 35 minutes I have ever spent.
My physiks notes (though he didn't write anything down)

3 comments:

  1. Your Wednesday and Friday schedule look good. Thursday looks brutal. If I didn't know better I would say the notes were from history not science. What kind of history are you studying? Love the pictures. Potsdam sounds like it was fun. How do you get to school, bus, bike, walk? Do you have classes with any friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how close is your house to youe school? Do you know what sort of art class you are taking and what sort of sport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My house is ten minutes (by bike) from the school, though I have been able to do it in 8. The art class is just art (all different types) and Sports is just P.E.

    ReplyDelete