Saturday, August 6, 2011

Lessons

(8/5/11)
    Today was a day of learning and it wasn't the “this is how to say...” type of learning. It was getting in touch with my German side and understanding how Germans think. For me the day started out early at six something in the morning, heaven knows why I woke up but I did and could not fall back asleep. So I went downstairs and found Anna in the kitchen, she was up because she had to take care of the chickens so we had breakfast together. I gave them the Huckleberry Jam much to their delight, especially when they found out they were pronouncing Huckleberry Finn's name wrong. Then Andreas, Anna, Clara and myself went to the grocery store. Lesson #1: They sell everything at a grocery store from shampoo to mopeds to cheese to chocolate. It was fun though the store was packed full of people, Clara was having a 'Going Away' party so she wanted to buy food and drinks for that as well as gifts for her host parents in Korea. Then we met one of Clara's friends (Lina) at the train station to carry her luggage (she was biking). Lina is also going to be an exchange student so the party was her's as well, she is going to Estonia.
When we arrived home I was over joyed to find my luggage had arrived! So I started unpacking and putting my clothes away. Lesson A (general travel lessons): Perhaps doubling suitcases is not the best for overseas travel, though it does give you another suitcase. I opened my inner suitcase and there was a nice little pamphlet that said: “Transportation Security Administration NOTICE OF BAGGAGE INSPECTION,” I guess they thought I was hiding something in my double suitcase so they searched it. Which would explain why the lady in the Berlin airport said that they knew my luggage was in Newark, i.e. it wasn't lost, they kept it on purpose.
My wardrobe & all my clothes
   My unpacking was interrupted by lunch but I finished quickly afterward and changed out of three day old clothes. When I went downstairs again I found that some party guests had arrived. So I joined in, sitting there listening them speak German. Every now and then I understood a word but in general I had no idea what they were talking about. Then one of the girls (Josefine) started talking to me in very good English – she had gone to England for three months earlier this year. After that she would often translate or explain what the others were talking about. This taught me Lesson #2: I am young old – I might be able to drive (in the U.S. - something they can't do till they are 18 here) & legally drink (everything in Germany) but I am a baby without knowing the language fluently.
   Eventually more people arrived and Josefine (Josi) went to talk to them so I went inside and talked to Anna about Idaho and Boise. Eventually hunger pains called me back outside. Josi came and sat down next to me and explained what was happening and then would speak to me in English about other topics. It was really funny because a lot of the time everyone else would stop talking and listen – Lesson #3: They like listening to English and would often ask Josi and I to talk just so they could listen. After eating we went to the campfire but Willy (one of Josi's friends) and another girl were trying to get Josi to hook up with a guy she had spent a lot of time with at the beginning of the holiday (however she really didn't want to which made it even more funny). While we enjoyed the campfire Josi and I talked about English and funny sayings and going on exchanges.
   Then we went inside where I learned Lesson #4: They don't like speaking English around a native speaker because they don't think they will be able to talk correctly (which is sad, I enjoy speaking to people who learn English as a 2nd language because you learn to simplify – so when I come back and can't use proper grammar you'll know why). After lesson #4 I learned Lesson #5: Germans know how to throw a party. When Josi went home at 1 something in the morning I went to bed because no one wanted to speak English. The others stayed up till who knows when and then camped in the yard.

1 comment:

  1. Hallo Hanna,
    schoen zu hoeren, dass Du gut angekommen bist.
    (good to hear that you got in safely).
    Wir freuen uns auf weitere Botschaften
    (we are looking forward to further messages).
    Es ist sehr heiss und schwuel in St. Louis, aber wir haben trotzdem eine gute Zeit
    (it is really hot and humid in St. Louis, but we are enjoying ourselves).

    Schoene Gruesse (all best),
    Anika (Trevor).

    ReplyDelete