Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Can YOU Believe I've been in Germany a Week, because I Can't

   A Momentous Event took place today, I've been gone a week.  And you want to know a horrible little secret, I don't miss anyone.  It has only been seven days but it has been a very busy seven days.

Day 1 (2.8.11) - Left Boise, Idaho, met fellow Rotary Youth Exchange Students, left Newark for Berlin, Germany.

Day 2 (3.8.11) - Arrived in Berlin, Germany, learned my luggage didn't make it, met my new family, saw my house, ate, took a nap, went to the Opera.


Day 3 (4.8.11) - Woke up in my new bedroom, went to town, had a small tour (saw the mayor driving by), registered with the authorities, helped set up a tent.

Day 4 (5.8.11) - Went grocery shopping, my luggage arrived, Party time (Clara's going away party).

Day 5 (6.8.11) -  Said good bye to party guests, went to the Brandenburg Bruckenschwimmen with Josi (saw the mayor again), had ice cream, biked home with Josi and Willy, got my first hug, met my councilor, help set up the tent again (I'm getting to be a pro).

Day 6 (7.8.11) -Went to Jakob's hockey camp, ended up canoing, experienced my first headache here in Germany, stuffed myself at dinner (they seem to think I don't eat enough).

Day 7 (8.8.11) - Savored a very nice thunder/lighting rainstorm, helped recycle bottles, sipped my way through a Koffee Klatch, and watched Inception in German.

Day 8 (9.8.11) - Went and tried to register at another bureau but instead got more paper work to fill out, read some Harry Potter, enjoyed a strange fruit tea drink, devoured homemade pizza and bid Clara farewell and good luck on her exchange in South Korea.

  All in all I think it was a successful week.  Time has flown by and I have less than a week until school starts.  I have learned many things in my brief time here (including but not limited to: how to say onions in German, wishing I had packed a real notebook with me, sleep does not seem to be necessary for living anymore, and time has a mind of its own).

Clara, Hanna - Rotary Exchange Students taking the world by Surprise!


    And now for those of you who I am not missing (which would be all of you), that doesn't mean I don't love you, just keep this in mind "If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back they're yours forever; if they don't, they never were." (Richard Bach).  You just need to have a little faith that I'm a Homing Pigeon rather than a Bison (who follows the grass - or in my case the adventure).

Love you Lots, Hanna

1 comment:

  1. what fun to read and follow what you are doing... I especially like that you are talking about my kids Jakob and Anna -- hee-hee!

    I'm looking forward to following your blog this year :-D

    ReplyDelete