Friday, August 5, 2011

The Adventure Begins

(8/2-3/11)
    My travels went fine I made all of my connections and found some fellow Rotary Exchange Students. However it seemed like one of the students didn't make the flight because there were only five of us instead of six. I watched several movies (Source Code, Transformers, Hanna) on the flight over and tried to sleep. After getting our passports stamped we waited for our luggage and it was just my luck that I was the only one whose bags didn't make it. As we were waiting there were windows looking into our baggage claim and I saw my mom and brother for the first time. They were so excited and so was I. After going through customs, which really didn't exist, I met them and explained that, alas, I had no luggage. So off we went to wait at the Lost and Found counter. Everyone else found their families no problems and headed off on their own adventures. My luggage was in Newark, I'm not sure why but it didn't make the flight but I should have it by Friday (fingers crossed). My mother and brother (Anna & Jakob) had taken the train and bus to come pick me up so it was kind of nice that I didn't have luggage. It took around 40 or 50 minutes to get home.
Looking in from the door

My bed, dresser & hanging chair
    The house is so colorful and welcoming. We ate “breakfast,” it was 11:40, outside in the garden which was wonderful. And breakfast was delicious too, there was 'cake bread' which was almost a sweet bread but not quite though it was amazing, bread/rolls, cheese and melon. Clara (my sister) gave me a tour of the house in German (she said each room in German and then in English). I love my room. Then I took a little nap, until 3:30 after that we ate lunch, which was salad, boiled potatoes, melon and an interesting herring beet salad. After that we headed off to an Opera that was held in the open air in the gardens of Fredrick the Great's palace in Rheinsberg. We had to arrive early because Andreas (my father) played in the orchestra. So the four of us wandered around the grounds (Anna, Clara, Jakob & myself). We had dinner sitting on the grass (which we found out wasn't allowed, after we had eaten), it was nice and light, but tasty none the less. Then they told me the story of the opera – it was the little mermaid, in German. We got home at around 1 in the morning, so I slept late.
(8/4/11)
     It was raining this morning but eventually stopped.  I went downstairs and Andreas explained where things were and what I could have for breakfast.  Then we waited for everyone and ate together (it was 11:40ish so more like lunch than breakfast).  Then Clara, Anna, & I went to town, so I could see the city and register with the local authorities.  First Clara and I went to the Tourist Information place so I could get a map.  Then we went to the mall to print out some photos and buy some things for Clara.  Then Clara went to a friend's house and Anna took me to register.  After that Anna gave me a little tour of the Town (including a church) and the City Hall-Rathaus, while at the Rathaus we saw the Mayor (Oberbürgermeisterin).  Lunch/Dinner was delicious, I set the table.  Dinner was fun because they were asking me to pass things in German - most of the time I got it right.  After that we went over the "Questions to ask the 1st Nigh," there were 43 of them but we made it through.  Then I went up stairs and started reading a book that is written in English and German.  Clara came and asked if I wanted to help them set up a tent for practice and I agreed.  It was fun trying to help them even though I couldn't speak the necessary German.  After that I read some more until Jakob asked if I had the book, then I took my computer downstairs and showed them pictures of the house and my family.  Then Clara went and played Piano and Andreas and I talked about music.  Eventually the three of us went to bed.

4 comments:

  1. The bed looks short, do you fit?
    Your first couple days sound fun and relaxed.
    Hope you are getting over jet lag and on a regular sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're having fun! Glad everything has gone smoothly thus far (other than losing your luggage)and that you're getting better at your German. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures. Thanks for sharing your blog with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bed is plenty long, laying down I don't touch either the headboard or the footboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hanna its just your luck that you would loose your luggage :P
    Everything else sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete